Sunday, November 03, 2013

N.....

is the letter as the Craft Barn Challenge nears the end. I was surprised to find relatively few words beginning with N. I chose Needlewoman.   Like the letter L below I have chosen this for more personal reasons. There are quite a few seamstresses and a milliner  in my family tree and I have enjoyed many hours stitching with friends or on my own. I looked for images of needlewomen and chose the one by Velazques as I  thought it gave a sense of the way woman have plied a needle stretching back through time.  I painted two pieces of paper and used one for the background and one to cut out the stamped images. None of my die cut alphabets seemed to fit so I sewed the name.

Just to prove my point I am having fun with crazy patchwork at the moment.  I turned the piece here into a cushion. I wanted to do some more and decised to make a throw for the settee, I wanted it to look aged so I made up the block and then sprayed it with brown Seta colour.  This should keep me busy for a little while.

16 comments:

carolfromkiwiland said...

A lovely page Pat and I do believe you have captured the timelessness of needlework by women. love your crazy patchwork too.

POSH SCOT said...

Lovely page, your crazy patchwork quilt looks amazing. Keep up the great work. Lou x

Laura said...

Love the sewn title :)

Scrapmate said...

Nice page and that quilt looks great.

BJ said...

Super page and fantastic patchwork. BJ

Elaine said...

Lovely needlewoman page - I like the mix of elements you've used!

Margaret said...

Your "N" word is so very appropriate -- and I love the effect of the Seta-colour spray on that CQ block. It definitely 'ages' it as you wanted it to do!

sharon young said...

Wow! I love your interpretation of the letter N, it's simple yet so full of impact, I just said "Wow" when I saw it!
Love the crazy patchwork too, I did that once and loved it.

TwinkleToes2day said...

Visiting from The Craft Barn - Your are also a fine needlewoman. Another form of art, I admire greatly :o)

Unknown said...

Hi Pat, I love your page, and I LOVE your crazy patchwork! Hugs Frea

Maisie Moonshine said...

Beautiful personal page. I love it. MMx

Claire said...

Lovely depiction of the word - I really like how you sewed the word Needlewoman. I also went with a similar theme for N and chose needlework. Claire x

Cazzy said...

Your page is amazing! Great seamstress.

Cazzy x

Maggie said...

Great word choice lovely pages and patchwork.

MaggieH

Sylvia said...

Fabulous page, great word and interpretation. Love the wonderful patchwork.

Sylv xx

Anonymous said...

Beautiful page you have done here.
Thanks for playing
Izzy