Friday, November 21, 2008

My Christmas present......

to me. Yes, I know it's a bit early but having seen Jessie Chorley's work at the Knit and Stitch show when a friend alterted me to the fact that she was holding a workshop I jumped at the chance.

Jessie had hired a studio in a cobbled steet in the east of London (her own is too small) there were eight of us including a delightful young couple from Thailand.The young man could not sew but by the end of the day was producing some very neat blanket stitch!! You can see how pleased he was

When we arrived the table was spread with examples of Jessie's work which we could handle and analyse, oh joy!!!

We had taken stuff and we just pitched in to start making a wearable "book", as I sat looking blankly at the piece of material I had chosen (what is it about workshops that scambles your brain?) Jessie came round and rifled through my bits selecting one, which she placed on the material, perfect I was off. This is my first effort

and this is my second

which is not quite finished.
There was a lot of good conversation, did you know there are people with a phobia about buttons, I certainly didn't and lots of tips I just hope that I can decipher the notes I made!!!
I made a new blogging friend, Mandy who has a blog called Feltbug, she made a brooch which looked like a fun piece but also had a close personal meaning for her.

At the end of the day we had a mini exhibition and then we visited Jessie's tiny shop in the Columbia Road and then home on a cattle truck! Thank goodness I don't have to travel in the rush hour every day.

It's on my list to do but I must not let a visit to the Flow Gallery pass me by to see the exhibition called "Making Stories" which feature pieces by Jessie, Julie Arkell, Jeanette Orell and Cleo Mussi.

Just going back to the button phobia, of course I had to look it up, it rejoices in the name of koumopounophobia and this is an article from the BBC magazine

Right woke up a 5.40am with head buzzing with ideas better write them down somewhere.

3 comments:

Clare Wassermann said...

Is there a name for a phobia about pronouncing unpronouncable phobias do you think? xx

Feltbug said...

Hello! It was lovely to meet you, and you have summed up the day beautifully here. It was a very inspiring day.

Gina said...

Pat, thank you for your offer to make wiggly bags... yes please! Can you email me on textiles(at)ginaferrari(dot)co(dot)uk so I can email you the instructions. Thank you! Lucky you having a day with Jessie Chorley. I would have loved to have done a workshop but treated myself to one of her books at the K & S show instead!