Monday, November 12, 2007

Pearls before.....

When I shared a joke with Susan of Art in Stitches her reply rang little memory bells. I remember my mother saying that pearls should be worn or they would lose their lustre. Google found me this entertaining discussion which shows my mother was not the only one. In the very unlikely place of the Department of Computer Science I found me these wonderful pictures of some very formidable ladies wearing pearls.
This is Dame Nellie Melba the opera singer.

And of course Queen Elizabeth the first always seemed to have a rope or two about her person.

4 comments:

Beate Knappe said...

thanks for visiting my Blog :-)))

JoWynn Johns said...

Just stopping by to let you know that I read you blog faithfully and enjoy it very much.

My blog is at www.jowynn.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

These pictures should be nice to alter :-)

Susan Lenz said...

Hi!
I'm still laughing! Thanks for the photos! I've got a "clip" from the movie "Fiddler on the Roof" in my mind now...the scene is set in a graveyard...the deceased wife raises from the grave in order to chase away the parents of her husband's intended, new, young bride...she's really angry...she certainly doesn't want the new woman WEARING HER PEARLS! She screams PEARLS! PEARLS! PEARLS! I guess a string of these is fashionable at any time...even death?
Susan