Thursday, January 11, 2007

Butterfly Heaven

That is the title in my mind for my TAST buttonhole stitch. As I have mentioned the challenge gets to us on Monday evening so on Tuesday night I went to bed thinking of how you do buttonhole stitch and how I could experiment. For some reason Wings came into my head, and then flying cubes. True to my new self (well it is only the second week of January, give me time to revert...) I started trying to draw what was in my head and by whatever magical process it is that goes on suddenly I knew what I wanted to do.







The scan is not A1 I may try to replace it with a photograph tomorrow.

So what have I learned about buttonhole stitch, I think the main thing is that this is not a stitch for cutting corners. It needs to be coaxed. For the caterpillars I worked them in buttonhole and then wrapped them with the same yarn. The jewel under the ring is held down with buttonhole stitch which I am telling you because otherwise you wouldn't know I had been so thorough!!!!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Wonderful! I love how the butterflies blend in with the fabric.

Carol said...

The butterflies are fantastic, so delicate. Love the colours.

Misa said...

I love your butterflies!

Gerry said...

Thanks for coming to visit! It gave me a reminder to come and check you out too. :-)

I love what you did with the herringbone stitch. My 'scribbles' never end up looking sooooo good!

Susan said...

It's so interesting to see your thinking! Thanks for showing the drawings, too. When I click, I can get an up-close look and see that buttonhole that is holding down the jewel. The caterpillars are wonderful!

Helen in the UK said...

Love what you've done with the buttonhole stitch here - very inventive :)